Saturday, February 28, 2009

Grouchy Grandpa

I've been thinking alot about my Grandma Carson lately. Tonight we started reflecting on moments we remember that we had with grandpa and I thought it'd be fun to share a few. When I we would go to ely and stay grandpa was my primary teacher when I was 4-5 and he always brought jelly beans. When I was in Kindergarten I stayed with them before going to school and everyday we would play a game of hand and foot. This is a little disturbing but one time grandpa was really sick and grandma made homemade chicken noodle soup and grandpa launched it all over the floor in huge chunks.(he's the one I got my throwing up launching skills from) Grandpa valued us girls modesty. One time Steph and I rolled up our pants so our legs showed pulled our shirts so we showed a little shoulder and would go show grandpa his heart always skipped a few beats and he would always tell us go cover up. He always had one pant leg rolled up to his knee and one all the way down.
This is a poem I wrote about him shortly after he died that explains some of my favorite memories of my grandpa and just a little of what a man he was.

My Grandpa could sometimes be a grouch

He would watch Ranger Walker and sit on the couch

Gramps would always take us fishing

To catch the biggest, is what we were wishing

He would make us eat a worm

As it went down you could feel it squirm

We would go camping at Timber Creek

I took care of him since he was an antique

He taught me to make bumblebees

Made of lots of knots that was picked up by the breeze

When grandpa was being beat

He would start to cheat

He could win the card games against me

That’s because I was only three

Grandpa and I drove and got bread

And I don’t think he listened to a word I said

We always would go feed the ducks

And only pay but a few bucks

Gramps and John Wayne

Were quite hard to restrain

They made sure they had their gun

And were always on the run

I bought my dad a truck

For only 5 bucks

Gramps gave me a sweet deal

Especially since it had all four wheels

We loved to go to the Frosty Stop

Sometimes to get there we would have to hop

We loved to go get ice cream

But Gramps would make us beg and scream

Gramps loved to yell

Just to try to get us to swell

But I love him just the same

And have to proclaim

I know your watching over me

And always wait for me to see

What’s set in my way

And I not be led a stray

I love you Grouchy Gramps


I do miss my grandpa very much and will always have a place in my heart for Grouchy Grandpa.

No comments: